Opportunity: Paralegal Pathways Initiative
December 8, 2020 Opportunities
The Paralegal Pathways Initiative seeks to amplify the talents and perspectives of formerly incarcerated individuals by connecting them with employment opportunities in the legal field and preparing them to navigate these professional opportunities.
This initiative will also build awareness of the criminal legal system and its consequences among law students and future legal professionals, and promote the leadership of justice-impacted individuals.
Participants will strengthen their legal writing and research skills by attending
weekly seminars, and shape the future of the initiative with contributions to the mentorship program, supplemental workshops, and other programming. Due to COVID-19, weekly classes will be fully virtual.
The 2021 program will take place on Tuesdays from 6:50 pm – 8:10 pm from January 19, 2021 – April 6, 2021.
As an organization, the Paralegal Pathways Initiative is strongly committed to promoting diversity. This includes actively fostering a cohort with diverse experiences and perspectives. They welcome applications from a wide range of people and do not discriminate based on race, sexual orientation, religion, age,
gender, or disability status.
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Reside within New York City
- Have been formerly incarcerated
- Have previous legal writing experience. This may include writing pro se motions, serving as a law clerk, engaging in other forms of jailhouse lawyering, paralegal experience, etc.
- Familiarity with LexisNexis and/or Westlaw not required, but preferred.
- Commit to attending a two-hour class one night a week for 12 weeks.
- Bring a positive attitude to the classroom and commit to foster relationships with similarly minded individuals.
To apply, please email a copy of your resume, a 1-2 page writing sample (e.g., a motion or brief you assisted in drafting, a memorandum, legal or nonlegal, or anything that represents your writing skills), and a statement of interest (maximum of 500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write
“Paralegal Pathways Application” in the subject line. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be contacted to set up a time to virtually meet and discuss the program’s goals in more detail.
Applications open on November 1, 2020. Seats will be filled on a rolling basis.