Opportunity: Part Time Paid Teaching Position with Rikers Debate Project
August 4, 2019 Opportunities
The Rikers Debate Project (RDP) teaches competitive debate skills — including communication, conflict resolution, and public citizenship—to students held in Rikers Island jails and other facilities in New York City and elsewhere in the United States. Their organization is looking for a lead teacher for their class at the Vernon C. Bain Correctional Facility in the Bronx, where they have a bilingual Spanish/English class.
This is a part time role, and requires a commitment to attending class at the facility (Mondays 6-8PM) at least every other week. The teacher will be a key part of ensuring that our students gain fluency in argumentation and debating, however no debate experience or subject matter knowledge is required. In keeping with their organizational mission, they'd ideally love to see employ a formerly incarcerated individual in this role.
Responsibilities may include:
- Teaching regular classes at the facility
- Developing course curriculum and topic packets, or translating existing resources from Spanish to English or vice versa
- Logistical coordination with other volunteers for classes
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Teaching experience
- Must be able to obtain a Department of Corrections volunteer ID
- Ability to navigate a sensitive classroom environment
- In curriculum development, specifically around bilingual education
- Working with incarcerated populations (or be a formerly incarcerated individual yourself)
- With debate, parliamentary or otherwise
Applicants should email a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “VCBC Teaching Role” in the subject line.